Up the ‘New’ Garden Path

For the first year that we lived here we had to go through the back garden to get into the house and then when the front door extension was added we had to clamber over wooden boards, so a front path has been high on the list of priorities. I have had my eye on traditional Victorian tiled paths for a while and whilst I love the more ornate paths like the one below, we decided to opt for something a bit simpler as we felt it suited the house better. After all it is only a Victorian end of terrace.

inspiration

Front path and garden goals

A couple of weeks ago my brother helped Ed lay a slab for the path and install some traditional rope path edging. He then came back this week to lay the tiles, which we sourced from a supplier on eBay.

img_7523

First stage – sorry it is so grainy it was taken on my brothers old phone while I was at work.

The first stage was to loosely lay out the tiles to try to work out where to cut the borders. Luckily the checkerboard tiles came on 30cm x 30cm sheets and the border tiles came on 30mm long sheets, making it a bit quicker than laying individual tiles.

img_7522

Still setting out – this time with a border across the top

I was at work while my brother set out the path, so got sent lots of options. We agreed early on the border should go all around (as above), however this meant the corners had to be worked out. The below option seemed to work well at the top, but down towards the other end at the gate, it got a bit trickier.

img_7524

First option for the border

So we had to revisit the options. That was when I suggested defining the corners with a thin black border all the way around. This meant the tiles in the border could align with the field tiles, thus avoiding any awkward cuts at either end. As you will see the border has been set slightly in from the edges, this is to allow the path to sit centrally and the gaps will be filled with plain black tiles.

img_7535

Agreed border with defined corners

img_7544

Corner detail

img_7543

Corner detail

This did mean that there were a few awkward cuts in the thin border tiles but once grouted these won’t be very noticeable. In the images above you can also see more detail of where the edges have been filled with plain black tiles.

img_7536

The border at the gate

Once the path had been set out, my brother moved onto the porch. This like the house is at an odd angle, so this took a bit longer to work out, however the same principles were used – defining the corners and filling the edges.

img_7548

Porch tiles

img_7549

Porch ready to be grouted

Both the path and porch have been tiled, however the weather has changed and until it stops raining they can’t be grouted, so watch this space. As you have probably glanced in the above pictures we have also covered the front garden in slate. The slate we used is our old roof tiles, which we have had stacked up and reserved for this purpose for nearly two years. The next stage is planting…

img_1067

Smashed up slate from the roof, hopefully the rain will clean it.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s